Ansys Products

Ansys Products

Connecting to a license on a computer on a different network

• tcger
      Subscriber

Hello, 

My name is Tim, and I'm the aero lead of the University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports team. We have a dedicated computer for our more computationally-intensive CFD simulations, however our sponsorship allows multiple instances of ANSYS to be run at the same time. Thus, we are looking to install ANSYS on local machines belonging to members of our team, and ping the license file that already exists on the CFD computer. 

The issue is that the CFD computer is on a separate network than these local machines. Please let me know what I have to do in order to point to license files on different networks. 

Thanks, 

Tim

• Vaibhav Dixit
      Ansys Employee

Hi Tim, At time of ANSYS CFD installation it will ask user to fill the license server details. Port 1055 & 2325 are default. User can give Hostname of license server or use IP address.

If ANSYS CFD Installation is already done or It does not ask for Server details during installation, User can make the changes in ANSYS Client Licensing > Client ANSLIC_ADMIN Utility (Run As Administrator) > Specify the license server machine 

• tcger
      Subscriber

Hi Vdixt,

So instead of the hostname, should I just replace that with the IP address? I've specified the hostname as the CFD computer (from the client utility on my personal machine), though I was not sure how to specify what network it was on. Please see below, circled in red. 

Thanks, 

Tim

• Vaibhav Dixit
      Ansys Employee

Yes, You can. Are you facing any challenge when using the Hostname?

Are you able to 'PING' the hostname (Desktop-VIR02MU)? Use command 'ping  Desktop-VIR02MU' to confirm the network connection.

• tcger
      Subscriber

Yes, just inputting the hostname does not work. I've actually been remoting into that computer (using the IP address) as it's shared within the team. Let me change the hostname to the IP address and see if that works. Unfortunately I think something has happened to that computer as I have no connection right now - I will try it tomorrow and I'll post here if it works. Thanks!

• tcger
      Subscriber

Okay, after replacing the hostname as the IP address in the client utility, it still does not work. Any more ideas?

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi tcger,

Can you telnet from client machine to the license server machine ? The software need to communicate with the license server via port 2325 to checkout license.

From client machine,

Open CMD Prompt then type

telnet 2325

If it works, you will see a blank screen. If not, you will see an error message.

Note that your machine may not have telnet feature turned on. You can turn it on by typing Windows features in "Search Windows" tool box , then look for "Turns Windows features on or off" and launch this. Then, scroll down to the bottom and check "Telnet Client" > OK

If telnet to the server via port 2325 doesn't work, please consult your network IT to make sure that port 2325 is open between these two machines.

Note: The license status inquiry that you are showing above uses the other two ports to communicate with the server (unfortunately, one is dynamic, so I can't provide the port number). This may not be a good check whether you can checkout license or not.

Thank you,

Win

• tcger
      Subscriber

Hi Win, 

You are correct, I get an error. I will talk to IT on campus and see how we can free up port 2325. 

Thanks, 

Tim

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Tim,

Sounds good. Please keep us posted of how it goes once the port 2325 is open.

Thank you,

Win

• tcger
      Subscriber

So I visited IT, they just stopped & restarted the license manager. Using the IP address as the hostname works, and not the computer's name. Only thing is off-campus I have to VPN in to get the license, but that's no issue. All is well!

Thanks, 

Tim

• tsiriaks
      Ansys Employee

Hi Tim,

Thank you for the update. From what you describe, it seems the issue is on the server side, not the network communication. The License Manager might have not run properly, especially the process that runs on port 2325, that's why you couldn't connect with telnet. 

Anyway, I'm glad it works now !

Thanks,

Win

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.