General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Connection type for steel component insert molded into plastic

• Brian Schlagenhaft
      Subscriber

Hi, I've been going back and forth on the most appropriate connection type to use for a steel washer that is insert molded into a plastic hydraulic body.  The washer is almost entirely surrounded by plastic except for the ID and a small circular region of the top and bottom face of the washer near the ID.  I defaulted to using a bonded connection to simulate the adhesion between the plastic and steel, but I'm thinking this might be conservative to assume adhesion as this is likely dependent on numerous factors such as material and molding conditions.  Has anyone ran a similar analysis?  What route have you taken?  I'm looking to run some simple static structural analyses to view stresses from thermal expansion as well as from various loading scenarios.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I agree that bonded contact is a conservative way to evaluate thermally induced stress between the steel and plastic materials which have a large difference in CTE.

Another configuration is to use frictional contact to evaluate applied loads to the washer and look at the stress in the plastic.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.