Photonics

Photonics

connectivity matrix in HEAT solver

• talimu
      Subscriber

Hi Support team,

1) Can you please explain why in HEAT solver we need a connectivity matrix (elements) to connect it to X,Y,Z coordinates to

mesh cells? How is it contribute to the calculation?

2) Why do we use it only in HEAT solver and not in FDE solver, for example?

3) In your example of "Thermally tuned waveguide (FDE)" there are two mat files:

3.1) One describes the full HEAT simulation region: elements size 76X3, with x, y, z (size 48X1)

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      Hi, Talimu, This is because HEAT (and CHARGE, FEEM) uses finite element meshing techniques, which requires the connectivity matrix to store the information of the mesh. When we interpolate the FEM result into rectilinear matrix, it is mandatory. The original data is unstructured.
      FDTD, FDE/varFDTD/EME use rectilinear meshing technique, so the result is structured.

Please refer

• talimu
      Subscriber
      Hi gsun The links above are not working, this is what I got. please refer me to updated links. Thanks Tali

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      It seems the website is down and we are working on its recovery. Sorry for the inconvenience.
    • talimu
      Subscriber
      Hi gsun,
      Thank you for the update.
      In the meanwhile, can you please refer to my question regarding my previous "elements" array.
      What are the values in the elements array below represent?
      Thanks, Tali

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee
      Elements record data for each mesh unit, the "element". It is used to form the mesh. as you can see, point 3, point 4 are used in different elements.That means those elements share the same points.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.