Photonics

Photonics

Constant Refractive Index

• schinta3
      Subscriber

Hello,

Is it possible to have a constant complex (n+i*k) refractive index for a material, as is possible for the ? If so, how would this be created?

• jackzhf
      Subscriber

For a constant complex refractive index for a material in your question, did you refer to a non-dispersive material?

You can “define a material based on a single complex refractive index value (e.g., n + ik = 2 + 0.05i) for single frequency simulation.”

https://optics.ansys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034394654-Tips-for-using-the-n-k-material-model-in-FDTD

• schinta3
      Subscriber

Essentially, I am looking to compute a photonic bandstructure, where one of the materials has absorption. I.e. from the planar hex bandstructure example:

I would like to see the effect of having a bandstructure of  eps=3.4+0.1i as oppsoed to eps=3.4

this is a broadband simulation however. Is this possible?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

Please note that in general the refractive index is a fucntion of wavelength/frequency. When you specify one value of the complex refractive index, it will mean all the wavelength/frequency you simulate will use this value, which might not be true. Then you band structure will not be correct at other wavelength except near the wavelength where it indeed has this material property.

If you want, you can add a nk object from material library, and then specify the complex index. It is likely that the small loss may not affect the band structure.

• Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.