General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Contact Area under Solution Information

• Jirong
      Subscriber

Hi All,

I am using structural result trackers under solution information to calculate the contacting area. The description for contacting area is total area of the elements that are in contact. I have a question for it corresponding to contact status, is the program summing up the area of elements that are in status of 'sliding' and 'sticking'? How does program define 'in contact'? Is there anyway to display the elements used in calculation of contact area. And when I check the contact status, some elements might in two contact status, how does program handle this?

• Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee
      Hi Jirong,nnYou can use a deformation plot tracker as well which updates as the solution progress which will help to monitor the parts in contact.nnnRegards,nAshish Khemkan
    • John Doyle
      Ansys Employee
      Hi Jirong:nnEach contact element has multiple detection points (either nodal or gauss depending on detection method chosen).nEach detection point has an analytical area associated with it.  nThese points can sometimes have different status within the same contact element.nAlso, with adjacent elements in different status, you can sometimes be seeing the effects of averaging across multiple elements.nThat explains why some elements might display multiple status. nnAlso, a closed status implies penetration across a corresponding target surface.  nTherefore, sliding and sticking status would both be considered closed and in contact.nnRegards,nJohnn
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.