General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Contact in the Thread Region Simulation

• zoecai
      Subscriber

I'm currently researching on the structural response of the threaded fasteners into innovative materials, when I need to build up the model with accurate thread simulation. Now I find that there is a function of called 'simplified thread' in Ansys. In which I can simulate threaded surface by including thread geometry data (pitch, mean diameter etc.) into bolt section and assigning the section to contact element. It is said that the result should be quite close to a true/explicit threaded model. And since I need to explain with solid reason why I choose this simplified method, I try to find out reference/explanation source regarding this simulation method in Ansys documents or anywhere else, all I can get is that it's based on a small strain formula. Is there any more explicit explanation for this method or ant reference source I can refer to?

Thanks a lot!

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I used the simplified approach in this post.

I modeled threads explicitly in this post.

My understanding is the simplified approach is not to be used to evaluate the strength of the threads, but to distribute stress to material near the threads in a more realistic manner than what was used before, which was bonded contact.

If you look in ANSYS Help, you will find many pages describing in detail how simplified contact works, the snip below is the start of the section.

Regards,
      Peter

• zoecai
      Subscriber

Thanks Peter, it's quite helpful to go through your two posts!

Actually, for now what I want to get is the stress distribution of the threaded surface instead of the strength of the threaded connection. I can see you modeled both of simplified and explicit thread, so have you observed a remarkable difference regarding the stress distribution on surface and stiffness (for instance, the load-displacement curve) of the threaded connection?

And I also have gone through the page in ansys help, it describes the simplified thread methodology in details but only not explain the theoretical basis or algorithm of this method, or referring to any reference. That is what I really need to explain in my work.

Thank you so much!

Regards

Zoe

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.