Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Contact pressure VS Normal Stress Y-axis (Ansys Workbench)

• hsfyah
      Subscriber

Hi everyone.

I'm doing a simulation to study the leakage of a **** connection. At the moment, I'm applying internal pressure 1.96MPa at 38C (as recommended by ASME B16.5).

My expectation now is to not having any leakage since I'm using the value recommended by ASME.

But the results from Normal stress shows a traction area & the contact pressure shows a 0Pa at half of it:

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      Even though half of the gasket has zero pressure , there is a positive value at the outer edge which indicates that part of gasket is in compression and should prevent leak. If you check the contact status it would show that the contact is near open and sticking which means that the gasket provides a good seal toward the outer gasket edge (despite of zero pressure on some part), which is expected behavior.
      Regards Ishan.
    • hsfyah
      Subscriber
      Thank you for the insights. I have one more curiosity, do you how to plot contact stress along the gasket body's length?
      I created a path already, but only to figure out that contact stress only can be plotted on the surface. :(
    • 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      The contact stress results are only valid for the contact surfaces. if you want to have results for the gasket body why don't you insert a linearized normal stress result and scope it to the created path.

Regards Ishan
    • hsfyah
      Subscriber
      Sorry for the late reply. I did the same thing as you recommended but I noticed the values for normal stress (Y-axis) and contact pressure arent the same.
      I'm not sure if I misunderstood the concept or it is my simulation that's weird, what say you?
      Thanks!

• 1shan
      Ansys Employee
      In the top 2 images it looks like the values for normal stress and pressure are close to each other - 2.52e8 and 2.57e8. Why do you say that they don't match?
      Regards Ishan.
    • hsfyah
      Subscriber
      Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, I just noticed it. I get confused since they have different sign even though the magnitude is close.
      Thank you once again sir for the help!
      I do appreciate it :)
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.