General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Contact Problem: Transient Structural Bouncing Ball

• Jfont
      Subscriber

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to create an axisymmetric bouncing ball simulation where a ball is bouncing on a round plate, and the bodies are not rigid. I am using the "Transient Structural" analysis system, and I am having some trouble with the contact in ANSYS Mechanical. At first, I am trying a bonded contact, just to see if it will work, but the contact doesn't seem to do anything, and the ball penetrates the plate as if it were not there. See screen shots below:

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      Hi Josh nDo not use Bonded Contact, that if for gluing surfaces together so there is no relative motion.nUse Frictional Contact. that is for surfaces that can prevent penetration, but come apart also.nThe most efficient way to simulate a bounce is to locate the ball tangent to the plate in CAD. Apply a downward velocity to the ball as an Initial Condition. You can calculate the what the impact velocity should be using a simple physics equation or an online calculator given the drop height. This will avoid wasting time simulating the drop.nSince the ball and plate are tangent at t=0, you can check that the contact is closed by inserting a Contact Tool under the Connections folder. If the contact is Near Open, change the contact Interface Treatment to Adjust to Touch.n
    • Jfont
      Subscriber
      Thanks peteroznewman!nnI don't know why it wasn't working before, but I tried what you said and it works!nnThanks again,nJoshn
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.