General Mechanical

General Mechanical

contact simulation on stent

Tagged: 

• thekop070809
      Subscriber

Hi peter,

i am trying to run a simulation on a nitinol stent made with spline surfaces. I have run into issues and would be great if I could get some suggestions:

1. The spline bodies make it tough to mesh the stent. If I increase the resolution or decrease the mesh size the number of elements goes up to a very high number following which simulation might take a lot of time.
      2. The only meshing method that gives a mesh output if the path independent tetrahedron method. All other give an error saying mesh might me intersecting or close to intersecting. But the path independent mesh also gives elements with a maximum skewness of 0.6. Any tips on meshing here?
      3. the stent has interference in the initial geometry and has to also be modelled for contact solution. Here I used the initial contact status to determine the pinball radius for the contact.
      4. I want to do a tensile test on the stent, but I have no edges or faces so apply the force. If I select a face the entire spline body gets selected which would not give the desired output. So instead I meshed the stent and applied forces and displacements on nodes of the meshed body by making a named selection. is this method okay?
      5. on solving the solver gives an error stating elements in the body have become highly distorted and the solver exits with an error.
    • thekop070809
      Subscriber

• thekop070809
      Subscriber

• Ashish Khemka
      Ansys Employee

Please see if the following link helps:

Model Setup for a Cardiovascular Stent Simulation | Ansys Courses
      Regards Ashish Khemka
    • thekop070809
      Subscriber
      No this is not of help. The model design is very different and the contact conditions are also different.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.