General Mechanical

General Mechanical

CONTACT TOOL

• SJ123
      Subscriber

I am trying to generate the initial contact result but it is giving an error saying "You have a contact tool with invalid contact selections or result requests." What should I do?

Also in the same problem, I am getting results after solving the problem. Are those results reliable?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Delete the Contact Tool.

You can add a new Contact Tool if you want to check it again later.

• SJ123
      Subscriber

I was trying to generate the initial contact result but it is giving an error saying "You have a contact tool with invalid contact selections or result requests." Then I solved the FE model without generating initial contact result and got the results. Are those results reliable?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

There are two places to put a Contact Tool.

1) Under the Connections folder in the model where the Contacts are defined.

2) Under the Solution folder where the contact Results are plotted.

The error message may be referring to a contact tool under the Solution folder.

If you delete the Contact Tools from both locations, you can insert new ones and for 1) Generate Initial Contact Status or for 2) Insert the particular result type you want such as Pressure, then Evaluate All Results if the model is already Solved.

In that way you will get information without any worry about an error message.

There is no requirement to use a Contact Tool under the Connections folder.  This is optional and for diagnostic purposes. It has no effect on the solution. The results from a solution may be reliable as long as the model is correct.  Using a Contact Tool under the Connections folder helps assure that the contacts have been correctly defined and are operating correctly.  It is helpful to get this information before you wait an hour or more to get a solution, but you can look at results and determine that the contacts are working correctly without performing Evaluate Initial Contact Status.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.