General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Convergence analysis – get information about individual meshes

• rmknox
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am running a stress analysis on a spinal fusion device and am trying to optimize my mesh using convergence analysis.

To give context, I have previously run this simulation using Contact Sizing refinement and have received a certain Equivalent Stress value. Now, while running the convergence analysis, the stress values for each iteration are approaching the value I got using Contact Sizing refinement. However, I'm interested in seeing what the meshes generated at each step actually look like. Part of the reason I previously used Contact Sizing refinement is because there are relatively large portions of the model that are fairly trivial with regards to the solution, so I chose not to initially refine those areas to save time and computing power. Now that I'm running the convergence analysis, I want to see how the meshes ANSYS is generating compare to the Contact Sizing meshes I used previously.

Is it possible to visualize the meshes generated for solutions 1, 2, and 3? Obviously I can see the node/element numbers listed above, but I'd like to see how the meshes are distributed, if that makes sense.

Thank you in advance for your help!

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Hi, you can only view the mesh at the last point. All you would have to do is go back to the Graphics instead of the Worksheet where you are seeing this chart.

I would recommend you to use this tool judiciously, i.e., don't scope it to all bodies, use it for parts or even surfaces of interest.

Regards,
      Sandeep

• rmknox
      Subscriber

Hi Sandeep,

Thank you for your reply.

I have been using the Convergence tool; however, I have a question about scoping. It doesn't look like I have the ability to change the scope of the Convergence tool from within the tool itself. If my Equivalent Stress result (where the convergence is applied) is scoped to a particular body, does that mean the mesh will only be refined on that particular body?

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Yes, convergence is carried out on the part that the result was scoped to. 

Regards,
      Sandeep
      Guidelines to the Student Community

• rmknox
      Subscriber

Thank you Sandeep!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.