February 25, 2022 at 1:00 pmpierre_fehlenSubscriber
We are simulating a plasmonic antenna working in the mid-infrared range, with a 2D simulation. We have a problem of convergence with our simulation. We have tried to correct this, and we have found out that the problem could be in the boundary conditions settings. In particular, by playing with the pml settings, we observe that the “alpha” coefficient is crucial for convergence. In “standard settings” alpha is kept at 0, but we see that if we increase it to 1 the simulation converges. However, we also see that the modes of the antenna (which are recorded with a reflectance monitor) spectrally shift if we keep increasing alpha (until a value of 20, then they are stable). If we play with other parameters, the modes shift as well. We would like to understand how we can set the parameters in order to have convergence and a meaningful result.
RegardsFebruary 28, 2022 at 11:24 pmGuilin SunAnsys EmployeeWhen PML is close to the waveguide core, or the mode has long tails the PML can affect the mode calculation.
Do you mean the spectrum shifted due to PML? it seems most likely the PML has some strong reflection. Please increase the PML distance. You can view the mode profile in log scale, and check which side has larger intensity at the boundary, then increase its distance .
Please visit this post Ansys Insight: Choosing the most appropriate profile for PML boundary conditions for some info regarding to PML parameters.
Viewing 1 reply thread
Ansys Innovation Space
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.Trending discussions
- “Import optical generation” or “delta generation rate”?
- Why am I getting “process exited without calling finalize”, and how do I fix it?
- Error on Lumerical device
- Using a license file on a new license server
- Error: addfdtd is not a valid function or a variable name
- Ansys Insight: Diverging Simulations
- Ansys Insight: Transmission results greater than one
- Ansys Insight: About override mesh in FDTD: its use and settings
- Ansys Insight: Convergence issues in CHARGE
- Is there a Lumerical script command to output the Simulation and Memory requirements?
Top Rated Tags
© 2023 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.Ansys does not support the usage of unauthorized Ansys software. Please visit www.ansys.com to obtain an official distribution.