General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Convergence Problem with Frictional Contact against Membrane

• StephGee
      Subscriber

Hello, 

First: Thanks to everyone contributing to this great forum. It helped me already a lot! Here is the first problem I cannot figure out with the already existing conversations.

I am working on a model that shows the insertion of the bar inside the organic structure which consists of a solid body and a surface (Membrane). The insertion is executed with a displacement. The solid body and the edge of the membrane have a fixed support. I have the following settings:

Contact between the parts: Frictional (0.1) with Pure Penalty and Nodal-normal to target

Stiffness Factor: 0.1 with updating each iteration

Analysis settings: Large Deflection: On

The insertion works without the membrane which is modeled as a surface. 

If I let the simulation run with the membrane then the simulation stops after about 50%. At first the contact shows no problem but then it throws the error: The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constraint. 

I tried many things with different meshes, timesteps, materials but nothing works. 

I would be more than happy if someone has an idea what I can try. 

Thank you, 

Stephan

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.