General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Convergence results analysis

Tagged: 

• Gordievsky87
      Subscriber

Hello everyone.

I have the simple model with weld seam. So, my goal is to know the max stress in the place of concentration.

• Gary Stofan
      Ansys Employee
      Results for derived quantities (Equivalent Stress) are very difficult to converge on. The automatic mesh refinement tools are not always practical in this case.nWe have many good discussions about this already on the forum. Search for convergence refinement riser.nnResults for derived quantities (Equivalent Stress) are very difficult to converge on. The automatic mesh refinement tools are not always practical in this case.nWe have many good discussions about this already on the forum. Search for convergence refinement riser.nn
    • Gordievsky87
      Subscriber
      Thank you!n
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      ArraynRemove the automatic mesh refinement from the model.nConsider converting this model to a 2D Plane Strain model, that way, you can get a lot of small elements around the crack tip using a Sphere of Influence Mesh Sizing control.nAdd Plasticity to the material model. The simplest one to add is Bilinear Kinematic Hardening. Enter the Yield Strength and set the Tangent Modulus to 0. Check that the Units for Yield Strength are correct when you type in the value.nNow the highest stress in the model will be limited to the Yield Stress.nThe interesting output is how much of the weld bead has gone plastic and what is the Maximum value of Total Equivalent Strain which includes plastic strain.nElongation at Break is a material property, like Yield Strength or UTS. Elongation at Break is compared with the Total Equivalent Strain to decide if the material has failed at that point in the model.n
    • Gordievsky87
      Subscriber
      Thank you Peter. I will try to do it. n
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.