3D Design

3D Design

Converting curved surface to Flats in Space claim

Tagged: 

• chalke
      Subscriber

I have a curved geometry which I import into space claim. I then want to obtain a flatten surface of the curved surface and get the .dxf file of it. I think I can use the unfold command in Sheet metal tab to achieve what I want. However, the unfold command is inactive. I would like to have suggestions on how to activate the unfold command.

• Sahil Sura
      Ansys Employee

Hi Chalke,

You can unfold the following types of walls, but you must right-click a planar face and not a cylinder or a cone:

• Planar walls
      • Cylindrical walls, including large diameter cylinders (roll bends)
      • Most conical walls, such as a part with variable radius round between arcs that was shelled and converted to a sheet metal part. Parts that are made with blends between radii also unfold reliably.
      • Z bends and S bends, even when they neighbor a cylindrical or conical wall.
      • Walls that includes holes that touch a bend or are included in an object that includes a bend.
      • Double-walled parts that include a complex unbending edge.

You also might want to try including the 'Beta options', which can be found in Workbench window >> Tools >> Appearance >> Beta Options

More information on the unfold option can be found in the following references which also include some examples too.
      Unfolding Sheet Metal Components (ansys.com)

Hope this helps,
      Thanks!
      Sahil

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.