Fluids

Fluids

COOLING TUNNEL WITH MULTIPLE AXIAL FANS

• ROBERT123
      Subscriber
      Hi,nI would like to simulate a cooling tunnel with 12 axial fans in a row blowing on a moving horizontal belt, upon where our products are (choccolate tablets). The cooling tunnel is well insulated and .step modeled.nWe would like to optimize the conditioning of the tunnel / dimensions / and energy consumption.nI serched on youtube but there are only transient method examples with only one fan.nI am new in ansys (my employee just bought it) and I would like to know is there any option to solve my problem without transient? (hundreds of Gb and simulation hours) regarding the fact that afther a while we have stedy state in our control volume.nWhat is a systematic aproch to that kind of probblem?n
    • Surya Deb
      Ansys Employee
      Hello, nIf I understand your problem correctly, then you could achieve this using either Fan boundary conditions or Momentum Source Terms. nDo you have information of a fan curve, i.e the pressure vs flow rate characteristics of the fans?nIf so, then you can just make use of the fan boundary conditions. nYou would be able to specify any swirl components as well if any. nKeep in mind that there will be no cell zones for this as the fan is considered to be infinitely thin and so this boundary condition needs to be applied to an internal face zone.nYou will find more information in the link below.nI don't think there is a need for a transient simulation unless you are interested in the transient startup of the fans.nAn alternative approach for much detailed resolution is to model the fans using 3D fan zones.nOne of the added benefit is that the swirl components need not be provided as 3D fan zone will be able to calculate them during runtime.nThis is more in sync with providing correct Momentum Sources for a cell zone. nYou can find more information in the link below.nI hope this helps.nnRegards,nSuryan
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.