Fluids

Fluids

Cores used, Fluent on Z800 workstation

• viznz2
      Subscriber

Hi, sorry if this initial question is a little naive.  I have an HP Z800 workstation with 2CPUs, 12 cores, 96GB RAM and I'm thinking of exploring CFD. No experience yet. I was using FEA and 3D panel flow sims back in the 32bit days.

My question is, does Fluent use multiple cores on a single workstation like mine, or does it need a special licence to do so? What is the minimum licence that would let Fluent use multiple cores on this machine? What is the maximum number of cores on this workstation that Fluent might use on a larger model?

With the small model size of the student licence ver,  what is the maximum number of cores on this workstation that Fluent might use?

Thanks for any thoughts.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Standard solver license allows for 4 cpu cores. A first HPC pack adds 8 with two packs we have 36 CPU cores .
      Are you using student software?
    • DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      Academic Licence has 16 Cores builtin.
    • viznz2
      Subscriber

Thanks abenhadj. I ended up talking to a sales rep here in NZ and he explained the licence and software options. The cores limitation on a single machine is a bit disappointing I admit. I suppose that if you have a newer, faster single CPU with only 4 cores it doesn't matter.

I haven't started yet. I may try the student version Fluent. Or start learning about Open Foam (smiling face).

Cheers,

Gregg.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Which cores limitation?

• viznz2
      Subscriber

I was thinking of the software rather than the CPUs.

Cheers,

Gregg.

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee
      ?
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.