Fluids

Fluids

Coupling AQWA with Fluent

• Alaa Ahmed
      Subscriber

Hello,

I'm trying to simulate oscillating plates installed on a floating platform connected to seabed with mooring lines.

From what I read, I can solve the mooring lines and the motion of the floating platform in AQWA, and then transfer those results to Fluent to include it in the solving process for the oscillating plates.

I can't find anyway to couple AQWA with Fluent, could you please advise me how to do that?

Thank you,

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello,nThere is no built-in capability to couple Fluent and AQWA. Let me check with an AQWA expert to see if your problem can be modeled entirely in AQWA.nKarthikn
    • Alaa Ahmed
      Subscriber
      I think it can be fully modeled in AQWA, but we're trying to solve it in high-fidelity simulations.nIn one of the tutorials, it was mentioned that we can use a combination of ANSYS Fluent and ANSYS AQWA to get a detailed assessment. That's what I'm trying to do.n n
    • Mike Pettit
      Ansys Employee
      Hello,nWe don't have the functionality to perform 2-way coupling between Fluent and Aqwa at the moment. I think the best you can do is to export the structure motions from the time domain hydrodynamics calculation (plot the motions as graphical results, and use 'Export CSV File...' from the graph details) and then impose these motions in the Fluent calculations.nTo model this in Aqwa you can use Morison Disc elements to model the viscous drag effects on the plates; you may also consider increasing the drag coefficients to account for vortex shedding.nI hope this helps! Miken
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.