Platform

Platform

Coupling PMLs for semi-infinite fluid-fluid or fluid-solid interface

• DanW
      Subscriber

Is it possible to include PMLs for 2 different materials (2 fluids, or 1 fluid/1 solid) to model time-harmonic acoustic scattering in a Harmonic Acoustics model. Conceptually I would like to model a semi-infinite fluid-fluid or fluid-solid interface with a finite sized scattering feature embedded in the interface. In this case I need two PMLs to terminate each medium which then also contact/couple to one another at the interface (see sketch below). It would appear that pressure or FSI coupling on these surfaces doesn't stop edge reflections on the interface (I think may require a special PML formulation).

• Erik Kostson
      Ansys Employee

PML is for acoustic elements only - there is no PML BC for solid elements (say soild186).

• DanW
      Subscriber

Thank you very much for your reply. Understood - I was able to set a solid physics region to a PML-type without causing any obvious errors in ANSYS, hence my (erroneous) assumption that elastic PMLs were available.

In the case of a semi-infinite fluid-fluid interface, is it possible then to have two PML regions which contact/couple with one another?, as in the figure above (both upper and lower mediums being fluids). 

Thank you again for your help.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.