General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Crack growth in a liquid environment

• Jira1901
      Subscriber

Hi everyone,

Currently, I am trying to do the simulation of static crack growth in plastic by using smart crack growth tool as you can see in the attached picture.

One of my challenge tasks is to predict the crack growth behavior in the liquid environment (e.g., water or alcohol), which is called environmental stress cracking. Based on theory, this fluid causes the internal pressure developing in the plastic due to the absorption of liquid to the plastic interface. This usually results in the reduction of stress intensity factor of material. Can you please recommend me the tool/model that I can apply for this simulation?

Thank you very much in advance for all suggestion.

Best regards,

Nomai

• Jira1901
      Subscriber

• Sandeep Medikonda
      Ansys Employee

Typically I would recommend a 2-way coupling (Mechanical & Fluent). But by the addition of crack, the complexity of this problem significantly scales up and I am not sure it can be even in done especially with just an academic license. But maybe someone else on the community can prove me wrong. In the meantime, see if the examples listed in the technology demonstration guide help. Also, consider modeling it without the fluid and by just accounting for the pressure on the newly developed crack faces?

• Jira1901
      Subscriber

Dear Sandeep Medikonda,

Thank you very much for your recommendation. I agree that the crack growth makes the simulation more complex. In the 2-way coupling (Mechanical & Fluent) case, is it possible to simulate when the fluid does not move/flow?

I am trying with only the effect of pressure as well. However, when I applied the pressure on the crack front or crack faces, the program shows some error message from a smart crack growth part. Maybe I have to try to find a suitable way to applied the pressure.

Best regards,

Nomai

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.