3D Design

3D Design

Create hub, shroud, and blade curve points for BladeModeler from CAD geometry

• jamesgr
      Subscriber

Hello,

As a quick disclaimer, I'm not very experienced with CAD manipulations, so I apologise if my problem seems very trivial. Thank you in advance for being patient and answering my question.

I would like to recreate a pump geometry in BladeModeler. I have found a few YouTube videos doing this using the CAD import feature in DesignModeler. However, these videos start with a flow path which is much easier to extract the hub and shroud curves from. In this case, I do not have a flow path to begin with, and so I would like to create one. The issue is the geometry has some blade cuts that cut the hub and shroud surfaces.

How do I to connect the cut edges such that I can create a hub and shroud contour for exporting to BladeModeler? I have attached the IGES file of the pump if that makes it any easier to understand my issue.

Cheers for any advice you can offer!

James

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Hello,

As ANSYS employee, we can not download attachments. Please go through some DM tutorials. 

Also please check if you can reduce your problem to 2D. 

Regards,

Keyur

• jamesgr
      Subscriber

Thanks for the advice. Any tips as to how I can best reduce the problem to 2D? In FreeCAD, I could simply "downgrade" surfaces to wires and then to edges. Is there something similar to that in DM?

Cheers!

James

• jamesgr
      Subscriber

For example, I can create a group of line bodies created from a sketch projection of the required slice.

But these are grouped as 3 distinct line bodies, rather than the 48 edges it contains.

I would like this to be listed as the 48 edges instead. Also, I need a way of creating the missing lines that define the hub and shroud curves.

In essence, I would like to create the following curves:

In order to do this, my thought process is to extract all of the 48 edges from the "line bodies" and then create the missing curves using a curve which matches tangents at both endpoints. Then I can simply define the 4 required curves by grouping necessary curves/lines together.

Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance!

James

• jamesgr
      Subscriber

So I managed to create the flow path by deleting a number of the edges, converting the required edges to a sketch, sketching the required lines using arc from tangents, reverting back to a line, and then deleting the unnecessary lines.

So step one is finished.

However, now I will need to modify the surfaces defining the blades, as the trailing edge is connected to the rest of the CAD geometry. Is it possible to split the surface by two lines, such that the curvature is held intact? I'm thinking something like this:

Cheers!

James

• jamesgr
      Subscriber

I solved it!

I had to begin by deleting the fillets around the blade edges using the "Delete Faces" feature (by the way, very cool how deleted faces are automatically repaired in DM!!). After this, splitting the face was really simple. I just had to select the face using the "Face Split" feature, and define the tool geometry as the four vertices defining the trailing edge.

Cheers!

James

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Glad it is solved. And thank you for marking it as Is Solution which will help others on the forum. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.