Fluids

Fluids

Create Interfaces for Centrifugal Pump Analysis Using MRF

• nihil2718
      Subscriber

Greetings,

I am trying to simulate flow inside a centrifugal pump using the MRF. I manage to obtain some results, that were most likely incorrect, so I want to start from scratch and ask, how do you create the interfaces between stationary walls and rotating walls, to my understanding, such interfaces should be detected by Fluent after loading the mesh, but in my case the mesh interface button is not available in Fluent. 

The geometry is rather simple, an impeller, a rotating zone, and a volute. I am not sure if I should do a boolean or something alike, below is the geometry and any guidance is highly appreciated.

Best Regards

• Raef.Kobeissi
      Subscriber
      Why dont you try using sliding mesh method? There are a lot of examples on youtube of how to do that.
    • nihil2718
      Subscriber

Hi Raef, thanks for your advice. I am aware of the sliding mesh method, but for my preliminary analysis I do not need a transient formulation and it is to my understanding that this also would increase the computational time, when compared to a frozen rotor approach. The overall point of my project is to be able to use the adjoint module for shape optimization of the blades (and//or volute, not sure if it is possible) , and, if I am not mistaken, the adjoint solver in fluent only works with steady formulation. I appreciate any feedback on the mentioned issues. 

Regards

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Staff are not allowed to open/download attachments. Why do you have rotating & stationary walls touching? 

• nihil2718
      Subscriber

Hello,

It is  to my understanding that the rotating and stationary walls should be adjacent, in order for Fluent to detect an interface when the mesh is imported. Not completely sure about that. According to what I have seen, I should have 2 bodies, the rotating zone ( which has the impeller as a wall) and the stationary zone, but when I tried this approach the solution does not take into account any interaction between the two zones. Thanks for reading and any guidance will be appreciated .

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.