3D Design

3D Design

Create two different surfaces

• Giacomo
      Subscriber

Hi Guys! I'm new in Ansys, how can i create two different surfaces from the surface attached? I mean between the internal rectangle and the other figure.

Thank you in advance

• FrankD
      Ansys Employee

Giacomo

When two surfaces share a plane like that, we assume that you not only want them treated together (like a shared face of a solid)

Since this is not always the case, you can create 2 components, and place one of the surfaces in one component and the other in another. That will ensure that later operations do no re-merge them. 

Now, how to separate them once they are sketched at the same time?  The easiest way is to make sure the (single) surface as you showed, is in one component. Use Ctrl+drag to copy the whole surface into the other component. RMB>Delete one area of the face from one component, and do the same to the other in the other component. 

I might also point you to RMB>Detach then delete, just in case you may need that.

F

• paguado
      Ansys Employee

Hi Giacomo,

If you select the initial surface (outer one) as the sketch plane and you draw the inner square on it, when you go back to 3D view SCDM should detect the two surfaces. Alternatively you can use the split surface operation to split the surface.

• Giacomo
      Subscriber

Sorry i'm not practical, i tried to follow your suggestion but i'm not able to obtain any result. Please can you explain with more clarity?

• Giacomo
      Subscriber

i'm using the Spaceclaim in Ansys 18.2

• Giacomo
      Subscriber

Solved!

In 3d mode, when you have both the surface in one, go to Select and select one surface. Then right button on mouse and cut, so paste and that's it, you have two distinct surfaces

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Glad that it is solved. 

Can you please mark this as Is Solution so that others on forum can benefit from it. 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.