3D Design

3D Design

creating a beam thats attached on one end

• chukster97
      Subscriber

hello im very new to ansys mechanical apdl, im trying to create a simple model for my project "VM5 is the code for ansys model", a beam with a load on the end. can someone create a simple model with log file to show me how it works.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Please reply with a complete problem specification.

For example what is the beam

• length

• cross-section

• material

• load

Do you have to use APDL or can you use Workbench?

• chukster97
      Subscriber

the length can be 30mm with a 5mm cross section, the material can be shell181 with a load of 10N. i wish to use ADPL because its the software i learnt to use in university, thank you.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

What is the shape of the cross-section?  A circle, a square. You have only given a dimension.

shell 181 is not a material. A material is steel and has an Elastic Modulus.  What is the Elastic Modulus?

I can only help you with Workbench. 

• chukster97
      Subscriber

the young modulus is 200gpa, is it possible to port workbench models to adpl?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Yes, but if you start in Workbench, you can complete the project in Workbench.

• chukster97
      Subscriber

20190903-142430

this is the link to the model im trying to create just the basic drawing, theres two of them with a cylinder as a second and a load of 10N.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Do you have the theoretical solution to a 10 N load on the 10 mm square cross-section 50 mm long beam?

Get started by creating that beam solid in SpaceClaim.

• chukster97
      Subscriber

i have no theoretical solutions, i just need help to make this. is it possible to model it then send a download link so i can run the simulation calculations i need? thanks

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Here is the equation to calculate the tip displacement with an end load for a uniform section cantilever beam provided by a lecture at MIT.

Do you know how to calculate I for the square cross-section?  Wikipedia has that equation.

In your case, h = b and Ix = Iy.

Please reply with the tip displacement you calculated using those equations for your inputs. 

Next start a beam model in ANSYS to see if you get the same answer.

You will need to open SpaceClaim. Draw a line 50 mm long, and create a beam with a square profile with a 10 mm side length.

• chukster97
      Subscriber

i told you i have no idea how to use it, doesnt matter i'll ask someone else.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I'm here to help you learn how to use ANSYS.  I assume you have installed the software.

• Step 1. Open Workbench.

• Step 2. Double click on the Static Structural analysis system in the Toolbox.

• Step 3. Double click on the Geometry cell in the Static Structural system.

• Step 4. Draw a line 50 mm long in SpaceClaim.

If you can accomplish these few steps, we can cover the next few steps.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.