Fluids

Fluids

Creating a Common Wall on Fluid flow

• Eng1989
      Subscriber

Hello,

I have encounter an issue on physics setup. Additional Walls on the boundary condition are added. Even if i have tried to display it. it can not. Also, A note: zone-surface: cannot create surface from sliding interface zone. Creating empty surface.

My Geometry have Fluid In and Out , Pipe Wall , Grout , Soil All are over lapped. All created from surface from sketch option.

As there is no an option to draw a common wall or separation wall while draw the geometry. 

Are these Wall are added due to overlap or No ?  

Can you please help

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

It will be easier for someone to help if you can create a project archive file .wbpz and attach it to your reply. The file size limit for attach is 120 MB. If your file is larger than that, Save As a new name, then Clear Generated Data on the Mesh, then save and then File, Archive... and you will find the .wbpz file will be smaller.

• Eng1989
      Subscriber

Hi ,

Sorry for that. Please see the attached.

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

I'm not a CFD expert here, but I will pass along one small tip.
      Your mesh nodes don't line up along the interfaces.
      Maybe that doesn't matter. Let the CFD experts comment on that.

In DesignModeler, you can select your four bodies and right click to Form New Part
      After you do this, the nodes will line up along the interfaces. 

• Eng1989
      Subscriber

Hi Peter,

Yes i have done that , i have clipped all bodies as one part. But i still face the same issue. i do not know why the these additional walls are created. i will wait for CFD expert comments.

Thx Peter.  

• Eng1989
      Subscriber

Hello,

Can Someone respond to my question regarding my issue. 

• Eng1989
      Subscriber

Hello,

I am following up regarding my concern. Can the CFD Expert answer my concern. 

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

Sorry for the delay in replying. And I'm not a CFD Expert, but these are things I would do if I were you.

1. Geometry: As Peter mentioned, you would have to form a new part from the 4 bodies. That way the mesh is consistent and you don't have to deal with Mesh Interfaces in Fluent. This would get rid of the "zone-surface: cannot create surface from sliding interface zone. Creating empty surface." messages.

2. Mesh: Use a mapped face meshing along with the face sizing you already have. And I also observed that you didn't define the walls around the fluid. I'm not talking about the fluid-pipe contact wall. I'm mentioning the other wall of the fluid. You should define that as say "Wall". This would get rid of all the extra walls that were automatically created. And its always a good practice to create named selections for all the edges in your model (for 2D cases), so you know which edge is being considered during the setup.

Eventually you should be considering inflation layers during meshing. But you can do it at a slightly later stage once the simulation is setup correctly. So for now stick to what you have with the above mentioned issues resolved.

3. Setup: Reset your setup before you open it. If you don't reset all the previous mesh names are going to exist and it'll throw up issues regarding "matching the names and missing some names from the previous mesh". Refer to the image below:

For the following warning message, all you have to do it follow the steps mentioned in it one after another. Just type mesh modify-zones ...

All this does is create a coupled wall between the different solid regions in your analysis, which is exactly what is required in your case.

I tried the above steps and it worked for me. I didn't the other setup parameters. But I'd suggest you to fix these issues first. Hope this helps and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

• Eng1989
      Subscriber

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for your answer, I have implemented all your comments. But, Still i am facing an issue about that 6 additional walls are created "no name"  ( Wall -28,29,31,32,34,35) as i tried to display it. ANSYS Can not display it. even i have named all the edges,faces as you explain to me

Also, the error zone-surface: cannot create surface from sliding interface zone. Creating empty surface , still show to me even i have formed all parts to one body.

Can you Answer me ?

Project Archive attached. 

• Eng1989
      Subscriber

Hi Rahul,

Thank you very much for your support, i really appreciated that. I have implemented all your points to my model, but still, i am facing the below issues

1) 6 additional walls (wall id 28,29,,31, 32,,34 and 35) are created with no name and no display.i have tried to display it ANSYS Can not display it. even i have named all faces and edges as  you advised.

2) The messages "zone-surface: cannot create surface from sliding interface zone. Creating empty surface." still show to me even i have formed all parts into one body as you advised.

Can you please answer me .

Thank you for your effort.

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

A quick question: Did you reset the setup (Step 3) after finishing Steps 1 and 2 from my previous post?

• Eng1989
      Subscriber

Yes, I did

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

I looked into your workbench file. Go back to your design modeler and make the change as shown in the image below:

Now mesh the model and you'll see that the nodes between the fluid-solid-solid-solid domain that you have, align properly. That should get rid of the "sliding interface" error. Now reset your "Setup" tab and try it again. Let us know if that solves your problem.

• Eng1989
      Subscriber

Hi Rahul,

Thx, now it is worked for me. thank you very much for your help  

• yyaseen1
      Subscriber

Hi Rahul,

I have w similar problem and this method works perfect with it. However, when I am considering more that one fluid domain, this method doesn't work. So, is there any solution? 

Thanks

• Felix
      Subscriber

Hi.

I have the same problem in fluent setup, several errors saying 'zone-surface: cannot create surface from sliding interface zone' and additional surfaces in boundary conditions.

Could someone help me out, please?

Please find the wbpz file attached.

Thank you.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.