Preprocessing

Preprocessing

creating a quadrilateral-triangular cell hybrid mesh

• rachels1001
      Subscriber

Hey guys, I have a geometry that models fluid moving past a sphere. I am going to only model half the pellet, assuming symmetry of flow. I want to create a mesh similar to the picture below, where quadrilateral cells are used in the regions surrounding the pellets and triangular cells for the rest of the domain. This picture is from a Fluent tutorial for periodic flow. 

I am a bit fuzzy on how to create hybrid meshes like the one above. In my simulation, the fluid is represented as one cell zone, with no divisions. 

If anyone could point me to any resources about how to create this kind of hybrid mesh or any tips, I would really appreciate it. 

• rachels1001
      Subscriber

Sorry, recently solved.

Just had to apply inflation to the cell zone and select the boundary of the circle for the inflation layer. Then used an all-triangle method for the cell zone. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

That'll do it. If you're in 2019Rx  have a look at the new Watertight Geometry workflow: that'll give you poly elements so likely to be more accurate. 

• darna darna
      Subscriber
      Hi I have a problem with prism layer at leading and trailing edge (see the picture). It's a 2D axissymetric domain with symetry at the bottom. Please, how it be fixed? Thanks
    • darna darna
      Subscriber

Hi I have a problem with prism layer at leading and trailing edge (see the picture). It's a 2D axissymetric domain with symetry at the bottom. Please, how it be fixed? Thanks

• darna darna
      Subscriber

ICEM

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.