3D Design

3D Design

Creating faces within faceted bodies

• ewold
      Subscriber

I am working with stl files generated in the materialise suite (mimcs/3matic) in SpaceClaim/Workbench. Currently, the stl I am working with is a single curved surface. It is obviously split into facets, but I would like to group facets together so I can select different faces on my surface. It is a pretty simple operation, so I am wondering if there is a way to do this in SpaceClaim by perhaps highlighting the group of facets and then using a certain tool. I have tried to separate faces in 3matic, however when I upload the geometry and try to mesh it in Workbench, it treats each face as a separate entity as opposed to different faces of the same solid. Hopefully this makes sense, and any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Hello ewold,

You have facets for a curved. When you import it in any geometry software, each facet will be treated as face. 

You need to create geometrical faces from these facets. This can be done in SpaceClaim. Please take a look at following link which has many videos showing how to create a geometry from facets. 

http://www.spaceclaim.com/en/Support/Tutorials/Modules/SpaceClaim_Reverse_Engineering_Tutorials.aspx

If you Like this please click Like for the post and if this the solution you looking for, please click on solution for this post. 

Regards,

Keyur

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.