Fluids

Fluids

Creating large number of points

• cfd4fun
      Subscriber

Hi,

I have a 8 million element model. I am trying to extract quantities of interest over 95000 points from the model.

I use a journal file and run it on batch using 48 cores. Looks like the points creation will take about a day and I am not sure how long the data extraction will take. Is there a way to speed up this process? Can we run the journal file in parallel?

Thank you!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You may find it'll run quicker in serial as I doubt point creation uses any parallel functions but may need host-node communication to store the points. Rakes may speed up the process as these are lines with set number of points.  

Why do you need so much data? There are volume & surface export data tools too. 

• cfd4fun
      Subscriber

I am trying to train a network. 95000 points are the reference data points and hence I am trying to extract the same number of points. The point process takes longer than solving the case, even on a single core. For reference, it took 2 days for 1/3rd of the number of points. I am not sure if this is the best approach, I will be more than happy to hear some suggestions. Thank you!

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

We generally use images to get around this problem! 

Can you create a dummy mesh of the domain with the correct number of cells and interpolate data onto it? Or export an ASCI file of the required data and work with that rather than the points? 

• cfd4fun
      Subscriber

I was able to solve using ASCII. I will explore the dummy mesh idea in the future. Thank you for your help. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.