3D Design

3D Design

Creating Nano scale layer

• muthul67
      Subscriber

Hi, I want to create a 10 nm thickness layer on top of a 400-micrometer box. I tried Solidworks and Spaceclaim but was not able to create them. Any help? if possible to create then how to maintain mesh continuity at the interface

Thanks

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      In Spaceclaim, you must change the Units before you start to create any geometry to shift the geometry engine to the smaller domain. This dialog box is found under the File menu.
      After you have created some geometry, the smaller domains will not appear in the drop down list.
      Consider using a Surface Coating to represent the 10 nm thick layer on the surface of the 400-micrometer box.
      In the image below, I choose Micrometers from the list above and have defined a 1 nm coating.
      By using a surface coating, there is no need to create a thin layer of uniform thickness geometry to mesh with solid elements. Surface coating will apply the material at the correct thickness to one ore more faces of the solid body.
    • muthul67
      Subscriber
      Thank you so much.
    • muthul67
      Subscriber
      I am not getting that option. Can you tell me which version of ANSYS you are using? Thank you
    • muthul67
      Subscriber
      i am getting only point mass option.
    • muthul67
      Subscriber
      I want to do explicit dynamics analysis. There I am not getting the option to create a coating. Any help? thank you
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      The surface coating in Mechanical is simply some automation to reduce the labor in creating shell elements on the surface of solid elements. You can mesh a surface and mesh a solid and use Mesh controls to get the identical nodes on the surface and the face of the solid, then do a Mesh Merge to have the shell and solid elements share the same set of nodes. Shared topology may also work.
      What kind of analysis do you want to do that requires Explicit Dynamics? The microscopic size of this geometry will cause very long solution times in Explicit Dynamics. There is no solution time penalty for microscopic size geometry in Transient Dynamics or Static Structural analysis.
    • muthul67
      Subscriber
      I am running a high strain rate single particle impact simulation.
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      I am using the latest version of ANSYS 2021 R2. The surface coating feature was only released in the last year or two. You won't see that on older versions.
      You won't want shell elements if you are doing surface coating damage from particle impact, you will want solid elements.
    • RohanJuneja
      Subscriber
      I want to model a thin surface coating in ansys and calculate the stress distribution. Can you suggest me how to verify the results I have obtained on ansys? Also is there a need to use adhesion between the surface coating and the other body? Also can you suggest what approach I should use to calculate stresses in the surface coatings under various conditions?
    • peteroznewman
      Subscriber
      I suggest you look at published research papers to learn how others are doing this.
    • akash kumar
      Subscriber

iam using the ansys 2021 R2 . But still iam not getting the nanoscale option. can you please help me to get the nanoscale?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.