Photonics

Photonics

Custom Design of inverse Y branch splitter

• Shashank Gupta
      Subscriber

I am designing a inverse Y branch. In the example section for custom design, 'https://optics.ansys.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042305274', a code is given to optimize splitter and output waveguide both.

I have replaced the 'def spitter' in 'y_branch_opt_2D' file with the custom design 'def splitter' and modified the fom, opt_monitor, FDTD region and waveguide positions in base python code 'varFDTD_y_branch' as desired by the custom design. Also, modified following code lines in ''y_branch_opt_2D' file as-

initial_points_x = np.linspace(-2.5e-6, 2.5e-6, 20)

initial_points_y = np.linspace(0.25e-6, 2e-6, initial_points_x.size)

bounds = [(0.2e-6, 2e-6)]

But the code is showing error (screenshot attached)-

I guess the error is due to initial_points x and y. The initial paramaterized polygon geometry points need to be defined to run the code (as mentioned in the 1st line of the description of custom design in image file attached). If this is so, then, how to define the initial_points x and y to run the code?

What other modification need to be done to run and verify the results of custom design?

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

Inverse optimization is an advanced feature. It can be challenge if significnat modification is made.

from this

initial_points_x = np.linspace(-2.5e-6, 2.5e-6, 20)

I am not sure if both use the same point. I would suggest to use

initial_points_x = np.linspace(-2.5e-6, 2.5e-6, initial_points_x.size)

This is to make sure they use the same sampling number. Please check the whole script file and make sure their number of points keeps the same.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.