General Mechanical

General Mechanical

CUSTOM files in ANSYS 2020R1

• jay11
      Subscriber

Hi,

I have downloaded and installed ANSYS 2020R1 on a Win 10 64bit machine and there seems to be a problem with the UPF subroutines. There is no v182\customuserwinx64 folder with the anscustom.bat and fortran subroutines as it is stated in the help. Instead there is v182customizeuser folder with the Linux version of the anscustom file.

Am I missing something? The installer didn't give me an option to choose which ansys components to install (including the user programmable features).

I would like to use the user programmable features to implement custom material model.

Thanks

• Aniket
      Ansys Employee

Are you checking help for 2020r1? From description of it it looks like you are looking in help for 18.2.

Please check the following folder instead:

C:Program FilesANSYS Incv201ansyscustomizeuser

-Aniket

How to access Ansys Online Help Document

How to show full resolution image

Guidelines on the Student Community

How to use Google to search within Ansys Student Community

• jay11
      Subscriber

Hi Aniket,

That was a typo, it is v201 folder only, it has a customize folder, which has a anscust.bat but it does not support windows. From the tutorials that I found online, there's supposed to be a CUSTOM folder apart from CUSTOMIZE, which has  a .bat file which supports windows.

I previously used ansys 16, where I selected "user programmable features" during installation whereas ansys 2020R1 did not give this option. The .bat file provided in 16 is no longer compliable as intel 14.0 has ceased to exist in the official website.

-Jay

• David Weed
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jay, it sounds like the customization files option was not checked during the installation procedure. To have the CUSTOM folder installed, which has the supporting batch scripts for running UPF's, you need to have the box labeled 'Customization Files for User Programmable Features' checked when you run setup.exe:

• David Weed
      Ansys Employee

Also note that for 2020 R1 on the Windows platform, you need the supported Intel Fortan Compiler and Microsoft Visual Studios versions listed in the help: https://ansyshelp.ansys.com/account/secured?returnurl=/Views/Secured/corp/v201/en/installation/win_compilers.html

Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2017 (including the MS C++ compiler), Intel C++ 2019.3.203 and Intel Visual FORTRAN 2019.3.203 compilers

If you have an Intel account, you can find IFORT 2019.3 here: https://registrationcenter.intel.com/en/products/download/2597/

• jay11
      Subscriber

Hi David,

Is this feature available on the student version?

• David Weed
      Ansys Employee

I believe so. I have seen other students post here about UPFs. I also don't see any license/version restrictions in the help. Try running setup.exe again to see if that option box shows up under Structural Mechanics.

• jay11
      Subscriber

I cleared all files from c drive and reinstalled it multiple times, but the installation setup has not given me any option to choose customization files. After choosing the directory, it begins the installation.

I downloaded the software through https://www.ansys.com/academic/free-student-products is there a different version?

• David Weed
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jay, I ran the setup.exe for the student version and I don't see the option either. Let me reach out to a product manager to see what options we have. I'll be in touch soon.

• David Weed
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jay, it appears that none of the free student versions of ANSYS software support UPFs. They are however supported for the academic version on the Customer Portal, but this may require a license. We're trying to clarify this and will keep you in the loop.

• jay11
      Subscriber

Hi David,

Thank you for getting back to me. Are the academic versions free for students?

• David Weed
      Ansys Employee

Hi Jay, I believe that this requires a paid license, but we are currently checking into the details.

• LuWil
      Subscriber

This is the first thread in the student community forum (that I have found) to confirm that UPFs are not supported in the student version of the software. There are therefore at least half a dozen other threads that attempt to give guidance on implementing something that is not possible. I am obviously not a paying customer, and therefore am not complaining, but I can't be the only student who has spent a week attempting the impossible...

• David Weed
      Ansys Employee

Hi,

I just wanted to give some clarity and finality to the topic of UPF support for academic ANSYS users. For the free academic version, UPF's are not supported but they are supported for the academic version which requires a paid license (this version is on the Customer Portal). We are currently trying to get in touch with product support to see if we can have the free academic version website state explicitly that UPFs are not supported for this version. We apologize for any confusion on that matter.

Also, the issue of seeing other student users discuss UPFs on this forum is due to the fact that we have a mix of free academic ANSYS users and paid license users here. I hope that this clears up any confusion. Thanks.

• jay11
      Subscriber

Hi David,

Thank you for getting back to me. Looking forward to the academic version, which supports UPFs.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.