General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Cyclic Symmetry / Joints Err

• matthew.greenlaw
      Subscriber

In Workbench, I am running a 3D static-structural study that uses cyclic symmetry at the edges of a sector model. I'd like to create a revolute joint in part of the assembly, but it throws this err: "Joints have been detected in the current analysis. The selected environment does not support joints." I know cyclic symmetry is the cause for the err and was wondering how cyclic symmetry can be preserved while enabling joints?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Do you need actual cyclic symmetry or can you use a simple symmetry plane that cuts out a sector?

Cyclic symmetry is needed if you are applying a torsion that deforms the cut boundary out of plane.

A simple symmetry plane remains planar and is adequate for loads that have no torsion, such as a pressure load on the face orthogonal to the cut planes that cause axial deformation, while the symmetry planes are radial.

• matthew.greenlaw
        Subscriber

Cyclic symmetry is preferable for this study since subcomponents of the assembly are in different orientations of a cyclic pattern , so planar symmetry cannot be preserved regardless of where the sector model is cut

If the Joint feature is unavailable with cyclic symmetry, I'm wondering if there's a work-around for having the contact region behave like a revolute joint?

• matthew.greenlaw
      Subscriber

Update: To replace the revolute joint in cyclic symmetry, I used 2 no-separation contacts between a pin and hole. This ensures the contact nodes (from pin) are still stuck to the normal of the target (from hole) while free to slide tangentially like a revolute joint. The 2nd no-separation contact is between the cap of the pin and face around the hole to prevent the pin from flying into space axially

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.