Fluids

Fluids

Cylindrical Coordinate Meshing in Fluent

• skdubey
      Subscriber

Hi Friends, 

Currently I am solving problem, which can visualized much better with the cylindrical cooridnate system. I was looking at the fluent meshing section only I found cylindrical mesh for the structural solver. Do you have any idea how we can set up the meshing in cylidrical cooridnate system for solving fluent problem? Whenever I tried to plot the mesh, I only get the tetrahedron?. 

I am looking something like this below: (Image:google)

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

That's an old style polar mesh, we've not used those since Fluent 4. For Fluent Meshing use polyhedral or poly-hexcore; for Ansys Meshing sweep is probably the best option depending on the shape. 

If you look in the post processing you'll see axial, tangential and radial velocity coordinates, these are relative to the fluid (cell zone) axis. 

• skdubey
      Subscriber

Does sweep meshing will be helpful in case of cylindrical shape fluid flow problem? 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

It can be if the flow is along the cylinder. A swept hex mesh is (generally) more efficient in terms of cell count, as you have a 512k cell count limit in Student swept mesh may be very useful. I tend to use poly cells, but I don't have a cell limit, I however have a compute limit but I suspect it's a little higher than yours! 

• skdubey
      Subscriber

Do 2019 R3 have any option of such meshing?? bot the pillar are cylindrical and as well as top part is also cylindrical. 

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Yes, but you probably want to look at decomposition to help the meshing tool. The above is awful, and I'm not sure even Mechanical will solve it. If you're using "hex dominant" mesh method, don't. It's not for CFD and produces a very nice surface mesh with rubbish in the middle. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.