Fluids

Fluids

Data Extraction From Simulation

• abraham_
      Subscriber

I am doing a 2D simulation of an object(it is turbulent flow along the axis of a cylinder- since I am considering it to be axisymmetric the analyis can be simplified to a 2D case). Also I am doing a transient simulation. So after putting the necessary flow and boundary conditions the simulation was done.

Later in the Ansys Post Processing Window I can place the probe at any point by specifying the coordinates and find the value of pressure there. Also there is option of choosing the time step and thus I can get the required value at any time step also.

My work requires me to get the value of around 1000 such points for 1000 cases of time. While theoretically this is possible by noting down each of the values, its really difficult practically as I need to take around 1 million cases individually. What alternate way can i proceed so that I can get the required data.

(just to be clear there is no necessity that data be obtained in post processing module itself, it can be done in other modules also)

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      But it will keep you out of mischief in the evenings.... ;)

The function you're looking for is a monitor. You add the point(s) before starting the simulation and the solver will give you the data during the run both to an xy plot, but more usefully a text file.
    • abraham_
      Subscriber
      Hi , thanks for the answer.
      So are you suggesting to add points (through the option found by right clicking surface option in Results section) and then add report definition for pressure. But this means I have to add 1000 points and then add 1000 more such report definitions right which is time consuming. Surely there could be an easier way out right? Even if you take time component out , what does someone do if they want continous values along the surface of any body?
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      You create the point once when you start the run, the solver generates the data during the run. If you want the data afterwards you either need lots of spare time or a journal.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.