Fluids

Fluids

Defining an interior wall BC thickness (contains a wall-shadow)

• Johndm
      Subscriber

I have a 2D closed system with 2 enclosures that are in contact with each other. All walls are "thin", so thicknesses are defined as a BC. For the interior wall, a wall-shadow is created.

When defining the thickness of the interior wall, do I need to double the value (if a single wall is 1mm, since I have two walls, would the thickness need to be defined as 2mm)? Assuming the enclosures are in perfect contact. Or since the wall-shadow also has a thickness (equal to what's defined in the interior wall), do I not need to double the thickness (wall = 1mm, wall-shadow = 1mm, so wall + wall-shadow = 2mm)?

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      No, you're setting the total thickness, so use 1mm if the wall is 1mm thick. If you then open the shadow it should also show 1mm thick. n
    • Johndm
      Subscriber
      Rob,nThey are two enclosures that interface each other. Two walls that are both 1mm thick, so at the interface the total thickness would be 2mmn
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      OK, set 2mm then. Note, the materials need to be the same as Fluent assumes it's a single wall. n
    • Johndm
      Subscriber
      Got it. So the thickness shown in the shadow doesn't actually increase the total thickness?n
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.