Photonics

Photonics

Defining the material property in material data base

• Shashank Gupta
      Subscriber

I am designing a device using an electro-optic crystal. The crystal property needs to be defined in the material database for simulation.

I have the material property data of an electro-optic crystal and I want to get the n,k value of the crystal under applied electric field which I then want to use in further simulation in mode/device.

What steps need to be followed to get the electric field profile? Once I have the electric field data, then how to use the data to get the n,k value?

Please suggest the scripting or method to create the crystal material property for the simulation.

Material reference: https://www.spiedigitallibrary.org/conference-proceedings-of-spie/5623/0000/KTN-optical-waveguide-devices-with-an-extremely-large-electro-optic/10.1117/12.580527.full?SSO=1

Thanks

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

FDTD needs material data first in order to simulate the device.

For electro-optic crystal which has refrctive index change with voltage, most likely you will need to create a series of materials in material database, and possibly to sweep the material name if necessary.

One cannot get refractive index from simulated fields ,except index pertubation such as chi2*E^2 where chi2 is the nonlinear coefficient.

You can use frequency-domian power monitors to get simulated fields.

Please refer:

Material import:  Creating new sampled data materials in FDTD

monitor: Frequency-domain Profile and Power monitor - Simulation object

• Shashank Gupta
      Subscriber

Thank you for your reply. I have defined the permitivity of the crystal in  lumerical Device and imported the electric field data into Mode. To get the neff value change with the change in voltage, I defined the electro optic tensor of my material as done in ferroelectric modulator example (Ferroelectric modulator – Ansys Optics).

But to perform the simulation in FDTD, I need (n,k) values and variation of values with voltage. How to utilize the data generated above in FDTD to define the material?

As you have mentioned that, for electro-optic crystal which has refractive index change with voltage, I need to create series of material in material data base, how to do that? In the link you shared all materials defined have (n,k) with respect to wavelength.

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

for each voltage, you will need to defind a material with the caluclated (n,k).

Only the data from CHARGE that can be defined as a function of voltage through np attribute, which is a perturbation to the base material.  However currently this attribute does not have anisotropy feature. So you will need to create the material at each voltage.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.