Photonics

Photonics

Definition of TE/TM polarizations in FDTD

• Kazuma Yamashita
      Subscriber

Hi,

I have a simple question about the definition of TE/TM polarizations in FDTD.

I think that in general optics, the TE (Transverse Electric) polarization - the electric field is perpendicular to the plane of incidence - corresponds to s-polarization and the TM (Transverse Magnetic) polarization - the magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of incidence - corresponds to p-polarization.

However, I found that this relation is opposite in FDTD simulations: when I use a movie monitor in 2D simulations with p-polarization, the output file becomes "file name_monitor name_TE."

Could anyone please tell me why this is?

Thanks,

Kazuma

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

In general, TE/TM is not uniquely defined. Actually they can be opposit as you observed.

BTW: I wrote a post in Chinese regarding to this. If you can use google translate please have a look: https://forum.ansys.com/forums/topic/ansys-insight-youguantetmpianzhenyijimoshiguangyuandewenti/#post-176494

• Kazuma Yamashita
      Subscriber

Thank you for your reply.

Now I understand that the reason why 2D FDTD simulations give unexpected definition of polarization comes from the definition of field components in 2D FDTD:

TE:   Ex, Ey, Hz

TM:   Hx, Hy, Ez

But I am wondering why the TE mode can be called TE (transverse electric) in this definition. What is the TE wave (Ex, Ey) transverse to?

Thanks,

Kazuma

• Guilin Sun
      Ansys Employee

It is simply a definition, called TEz. Meaning transverse to the 3rd dimension z . I used it before 

Approximate Crank-Nicolson schemes for the 2-D finite-difference time-domain method for TEz waves   IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation ( Volume: 52, Issue: 11, November 2004) 

• Kazuma Yamashita
      Subscriber

Thank you very much for your help. I understand that it is simply a matter of definition in 2D-FDTD.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.