May 24, 2018 at 11:33 ambabu1234Subscriber
I am solving my project under ANSYS Static structural. I wish to understand the difference between deflection and displacment? Both are same?
May 24, 2018 at 4:04 pmpeteroznewmanSubscriber
Displacement is the word used for the distance a face or edge is moved in a boundary condition.
Deformation is the word used to measure the distance any node moved due to an applied load.
Large Deflection is the word used in Analysis settings to indicate that nodes might move by large distances and so the solver should update the node locations during a nonlinear solution.
June 22, 2018 at 2:38 amSandeep MedikondaAnsys Employee
In general, based on what I understand,
1. Displacement is a vector quantity used to measure the position of a body due to external actions both rotational or translational applied to it.
2. Deflection is a scalar quantity used to measure the change in shape of a body due to rotational forces only (Moment/torsion).
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Simulation World 2022
Check out more than 70 different sessions now available on demand. Get inspired as you hear from visionary companies, leading researchers and educators from around the globe on a variety of topics from life-saving improvements in healthcare, to bold new realities of space travel. Take a leap of certainty and check out a session today here.
Earth Rescue – An Ansys Online Series
The climate crisis is here. But so is the human ingenuity to fight it. Earth Rescue reveals what visionary companies are doing today to engineer radical new ideas in the fight against climate change. Click here to watch the first episode.
Subscribe to the Ansys Blog to get great new content about the power of simulation delivered right to your email on a weekly basis. With content from Ansys experts, partners and customers you will learn about product development advances, thought leadership and trends and tips to better use Ansys tools. Sign up here.
- How to calculate the residual stress on a coating by Vickers indentation?
- An Unknown error occurred during solution. Check the Solver Output…..
- Saving & sharing of Working project files in .wbpz format
- Solver Pivot Warning in Beam Element Model
- Understanding Force Convergence Solution Output
- Colors and Mesh Display
- whether have the difference between using contact and target bodies
- The solver engine was unable to converge on a solution for the nonlinear problem as constrained.
- What is the difference between bonded contact region and fixed joint
- Massive amount of memory (RAM) required for solve
© 2022 Copyright ANSYS, Inc. All rights reserved.