Fluids

Fluids

Degenerate mesh error

• manelaero2020
      Subscriber

Hi every body ;

I am using FENSAP to perform aerodynamic simulations. The solver fails and displays an error ' degenerate elements found in grid ' execution error

I have looked for this kind of error, it seems related to the orthogonal quality of the mesh.

(look at links below)

http://www.elmerfem.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2159&start=10

Fluent can ignore this anomaly, we can force it to ignore this using advanced options (link)

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      First thing to do is identify the degenerate elements and understand why they've formed. From there you can figure out (with help if you post pictures) how to fix/remove the problem.
    • manelaero2020
      Subscriber
      Thank you, Rob, maybe ICEM CFD could be better than Ansys meshing; I will look at how people perform a good mesh. But I admit that Fluent is more stable than FENSAP.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      I'd only use ICEM CFD for a pure hex mesh for a turbo problem, otherwise Fluent Meshing or Ansys Meshing are preferred: not least because they're easier to use!
    • manelaero2020
      Subscriber
      You are right Rob, in fact, ICEM CFD is the best ( of course the best is the most difficult) , I will learn how to use it and start with unstructured mesh (the easier one )

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      I'd hesitate to label ICEM CFD as "best" any more, we tend to favour unstructured meshes now, and with the newer poly-hexcore you get the best features of a structured and unstructured mesh.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.