Electronics

Electronics

Design of metal target with Inductor coil in ANSYS EDT

• gawadesuraj
      Subscriber

Hi All,

I want to design an inductor coil with a metal target to see the effect of metal target on the inductance of a coil. I did some search about this but didn't find any solid solution. Could anyone please tell me which design (HFSS, Maxwell or Q3D etc.) should I use to design this kind of application which is widely used in an inductive button sensors?

Any help regards to this is highly appreciated.

Many thanks!!

• Navya C
      Ansys Employee
      Hi @gawadesuraj Can you provide a screenshot of a sketch of how your system/design looks and how it operates?
      Also mention what is the operating frequency of the coil.

Regards Navya
    • gawadesuraj
      Subscriber

Thanks for your reply.
      I have attached the SS of the inductor coil which I designed (HFSS design
      ). The operating frequency range of the coil is from 100kHz to 3MHz. As you can see in the image, a two-layer is designed and now I need to add a metal target (just like an inductive button sensor) on top of that coil. At last I want see the effect of metal target on the inductance and resistance of the coil with field line (if possible).
      Thanks Suraj
    • Praneeth
      Ansys Employee

Please use "upload image" option in the post as Ansys employees cannot access the attachments across the forum.
      Thank you for your cooperation.

• gawadesuraj
      Subscriber

Please find the required SS as follows:

• Praneeth
      Ansys Employee
      Hi Suraj We appreciate your patience on this.
      Were you able to see the change in the plots in the presence of metal target?
      Best regards.
    • gawadesuraj
      Subscriber

Yes, I was able to see the change and it's sorted out now. But my only question now is can I design the same thing as a Maxwell design and if yes, how can I do the setup for boundary, excitation to obtain L and Rs values. I am asking this because the working frequency range for the coil is 250kHz to 12MHz which is a low frequency application.
      Please let me know about this.
      Thanks Suraj
    • Navya C
      Ansys Employee
      Hi @awadesuraj For calculating the resistance and inductance of your coils, you can run a simulation with an eddy current solver.
      Make sure to assign parameter-->matrix before analyzing.
      In result-->solution data you can view R and L values under the matrix tab.
      If you are on 2021R1 and above, there is an example. File>open examples>Mawell>General>eddy current.
      Please refer to Maxwell help document for additional information on specific topics.
      Regards
      Navya
    • gawadesuraj
      Subscriber

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I am using 2021 version and as you said, I'll follow the mentioned steps.
      Regards Suraj

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.