3D Design

3D Design

Designmodeler : Filling tunnel

• hjmn
      Subscriber

Hi, I'm new to DesignModeler and I want to fill the tunnel which has two pipes in it to extract a volume to mesh on. I received a scanned model(Revit) by using 3D scanning devices and I moved the file to Ansys DesignModeler. I think it contains several gaps between the walls considering the file was scanned by a device. I used the fill function to extract the volume but it doesn't work out. I've been trying for weeks to solve this...to fill the gap or re-draw the whole model... Is there a clear method to extract a volume to create a mesh with an imperfect model? Or how can I modify this model properly?

• RK
      Ansys Employee
      Hello,
      To use the volume extract, you will have to make sure that there are no gaps, which would otherwise lead to leakage during the volume extraction process. First, I would strongly suggest you to fix the geometry. I am not very familiar with Design modeler but in SpaceClaim, there are tools to Repair the geometry. You could use them to fix it and extract the volume.
      Second option, which I am not very sure it would work but worth giving it a try. Create a whole solid representing the volume of the model and then do a boolean operation to subtract the internal features.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.