Fluids

Fluids

Determination of Mass Flow Rate through a duct on a car which is moving through a body of fluid.

• ManTryingHard
      Subscriber

I am using Fluent to model a vehicle which is moving through air. The vehicle has a duct on it which is connected to an internal pipe and an exit at the rear of the vehicle. I am trying to measure the Mass Flow Rate through the piping.

The vehicle is a solid body.

I created a vastly simplified model, pictured below, to simplify the problem while I worked out how to solve it. This simplified model is simply the car with a pipe cut out of it from front to back. If I can work out how to measure the mass flow rate through this pipe while the vehicle is moving through a body of fluid then I can apply that to the model with the proper side duct.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee
      If you put a surface in the duct you can use the report functions. Note, fluxes need a mesh surface so you may need to look at velocity x area x density using custom field functions and surface integrals. n
    • ManTryingHard
      Subscriber
      Thanks Rob, nWhen you say put a surface in the duct, do you mean that I should put some sort of solid disk with a thickness inside the duct and then give the two faces named selections (inlet/outlet)? The rest I should be good with.nThanks!n
    • Rob
      Ansys Employee
      No, look at the iso surfaces (and iso-clip) or split a region of fluid out so you have an interior surface in there. The latter will give you access to the flux reports. n
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.