General Mechanical

General Mechanical

Difference between static and transient structure in fluid structure interaction

• Aya.hassan
      Subscriber

Hello all,
       I am solving one way fluid structure interaction model. First fluid model is solved in Fluent then I import the load (pressure) into structure. What is the difference between static and transient structure ? I tried both and I have the same solution . I am doing the same process in static and transient structure. 

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Hello Aya Hassan,

If your Fluent model was solving a Steady State flow, then the pressure at any point in the model is a static value that doesn't change with time. Then you would send that pressure result into a Static Structural model. You can have steady state turbulent flow, if you are doing Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes (RANS) in the model.

But if your Fluent model was a Transient flow simulation, then the pressure at a point in the model is a function of time and you would send that pressure result into a Transient Structural model.

Regards,

Peter

• Aya.hassan
      Subscriber

Thank you for your quick reply
      Fluent model is a transient flow simulation. In transient structural, I can import pressure value for all points in the model at only one time step (see the attached figure).

How can I solve at all time steps?

• raul.raghav
      Subscriber

The "External Data" and "System Coupling" utilities will help you with that process. See attached resources:

CAEAI: Advanced loads WorkBench

System Coupling: One-way Data Transfer

• Aya.hassan
      Subscriber

I follow the tutorials you sent in using the External Data utility to import pressure into structure. The pressure is imported and the model is solved but I have this warning:  the program controlled pinball grew more than 10% of the source point bounding box maximum length

What does it mean and how can I overcome this warning?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.