Electronics

Electronics

Difference between the results of Phased array antenna o HFSS 2017 version and HFSS 2020 R1 version

• piku42
      Subscriber

I designed a finite array using conventional/explicit method (not using master/slave boundary or DDM) in HFSS 2017 on a infinite ground plane.The array was scanning  at 30 degree. However I have recently updated my HFSS 2020 R1. Now when I open my previous file using HFSS 2020R1 and simulate it, far field results completely changes. I did not changed anything in the design and settings. So my question is what is the difference while designing an finite array in v2017 and 2020R1. How I can apply phase shift in the edit excitation to scan the main beam to a specific angle. I explicitly solved the finite array using one single radiation box and infinite ground plane. I will be happy if you kindly provide any tutorial / notes/file/video or anything on finite scanning array design.

• rtk
      Ansys Employee

Hello, 

From HFSS v2017 to 2020 R1 many mesh modifications and additional features have been incorporated. That could be a reason for your result variation. In 2020 R1, for easier Finite creation and solving, you can utilize the 'Finite DDM Wizard' and for array beam scan go for HFSS >> Toolkit >> Finite Beam Angle. You can refer the details of Finite Beam Angle toolkit in the respective HFSS Help document.

Regards,

• piku42
      Subscriber

Hi, Thank you so much for your reply!

I searched for "Finite DDM Wizard". Ansys documentation referring to the unit cell design with domain decomposition. Actually I tried with the master and slave boundary condition to design a finite array. It showing unexpected results. Furthermore, the array antenna I am trying to design has a hexagonal shape as shown below. If you kindly give me a hint that, how can I use the Finite DDM Wizard for the hexagonal shaped finite array? Can you please direct me to the documentation of such design? Again, thanks a lot. It means a lot.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.