Fluids

Fluids

Different CFD results in Discovery vs. Fluent

• glipkowitz
      Subscriber

I am getting very different simulation results when I use Discovery vs. Fluent. My geometry is somewhat unusual in that it has an extremely high aspect ratio; I am modeling flow through a thin gap (100 microns thick) that has a circular area fluid domain of diameter 5 cm. In fluent, in order to have a number of voxels across this gap I have to enforce a number of layers during meshing, and I'm wondering whether this is causing the different results in Discovery, where I can't specify this.

• Karthik R
      Administrator
      Hello Discovery is supposed to be a lightweight tool that is supposed to be used for quick exploratory studies to quickly analyze different designs. Ansys Fluent on the other hand is a high fidelity tool that is often used to get insights into the physics of the problem. Because these tools serve different purposes, I'm not surprised if you get different results on these tools.
      If you are modeling high aspect ratio geometries, to be as close to the physics in Fluent, I'd recommend that you sufficiently resolve the geometry.
      Karthik
    • glipkowitz
      Subscriber
      Thanks Karthik! Though would you please explain what you mean by resolve geometry? Cheers, Gabriel
    • Karthik R
      Administrator

What I mean is that you need to have sufficient mesh (number of cells) to resolve your geometry, especially in the thickness of the gap. If you need to capture say flow separation etc. for your physics, you will need to create a finer mesh in this region.
      I hope this answers your question.
      Karthik
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.