Preprocessing

Preprocessing

Different mesh sizes with stretches

• ehkh
      Subscriber

Hi,

I am trying to mesh a rectangular box (10mx0.5mx1m) are the dimensions in x,y and z directions respectively, with a quadratile mesh as following:

2000 grid points uniformly distributed in the horizontal x direction. and 400 grid points uniformly distributed in the horizontal z direction.

In the vertical y direction, the grid size near the horizontal boundaries is 4x10^-4  with 2% linear stretching applied; the largest grid size of 8x10^-3 in the centre of the domain; and a total grid points of 200.

can I use the refinement command in this case ? what the other option I used? 

Please advice me how can this be achieved.

Many thanks

Esra'a

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You can probably use edge sizing and biasing for this. 

• ehkh
      Subscriber

in this case, what should be the bias factor? should I use a number of division of 200 points and a bias factor 200 bias factor? how can I control the size of the elements near the boundary to be approximately 4x10^-4  and control the largest grid size to be 8x10^-3 in the centre of the domain.

Thanks

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

You'll need to read up on the function and do the sums. Another option is to use inflation and (very carefully) grow cells away from the two surfaces. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.