Fluids

Fluids

Different Sized Particles Entrained in Flow

• crkeller
      Subscriber

I am trying to send mircoparticles in two size groups - roughly 30 um and 60 um - through a micro channel roughly 65 um.

I have been using injections for the particles and sending two groups of surface particles through the channel. The main issue I am running into is that no matter how I try to adjust the sizes the particles always move through the channel without touching and reacting to the presence of the channel wall. I am interested in this interaction specifically because I am attempting to show that the particles will interact differently and result in sorting by size after moving through the channel.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Read up on the maths behind the DPM model, and then explain why they should separate in your domain. 

• DrAmine
      Ansys Employee

Is this correct: 30/60 um particles and 65um channel?

• crkeller
      Subscriber

Could you please send me a link that explains the math you are talking about?

The particles should separate due to the larger particles interacting with the wall and then falling into a lower channel while the rest of the particles should flow into an upper channel if there is no interaction.

• crkeller
      Subscriber

Yes. The particle size and channel width is correct. The channel width may be adjusted if necessary for particle interaction.

• Rob
      Ansys Employee

Click on "Help" in Fluent and read the sections in the Theory Guide on the Discrete Phase Model (I assume that's the one you're using), or Euler if that's the case.  Pay particular attention to how Fluent determines the particle position and body forces. 

Then read the additional models part on the Macro Particle Model. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.