3D Design

3D Design

Dimensions dependent on other dimensions

• jonsys
      Subscriber

Let's say I want to model 2 primitives (Box) on top of each other. X and y will be the same for both of them. Because I want to parametrize, I don't want to input the same values twice, therefore I want to make x and y component of the 2nd primitive (namely FD6 and FD7) to be automatically the same as the 1st primitive.

Any suggestions?

Fig 1

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Jon,

Here are two rectangles, all controlled from one design parameter DS_B.

Click on the Parameters button on the toolbar in DesignModeler to get this Parameter Editor.  Click on the second tab to look at how that parameter is assigned.

See how the height is 2 times the width.  If I type in a new value and Generate, they all move.

It is a bit convoluted setting this up. Might be worth making a video to explain it.

Regards,

Peter

• jonsys
      Subscriber

Peter,

I defined as parameters all distances that are either input or dependent on input. Then I go at the "Parameters" button on the Toolbar; I define the relationship at "Parameter/Dimension Assignments"; At "Design Parameters" I Suppress the parameters that are already dependent on the input in order for them not to show at "Parameter Set" at the "Project" tab.

It works like this, thank you!

Is this perfectly correct or is there another way of defining dependency (where I can skip suppressing)?

• peteroznewman
      Subscriber

Jon,

Create a driving parameter name at the beginning.

When I checked the Parameter button on the dimension in the sketch, it showed up in the Parameters list. But on the Assignment tab, I could type in that that dimension was driven by the DS_B parameter I had defined.  Then I go back to the Parameters list and delete that parameter (you suppressed them).

That is the convolution I was talking about.  Glad it is working for you.

Cheers,

Peter

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee

Hi, 

Dealing with parameters on project page is better way to handle dependent parameters as you get all parameters at one place. So its correct way. 

As Peter mentioned parameter editor in DM, it gives more flexibility to user.

Regards,

Keyur

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.