General Mechanical

General Mechanical

“Direct FE” Button for Nodal Displacements (ANSYS Mechanical 2020R2) of a Solid Model

• wcg
      Subscriber

Good Afternoon,

I am currently working through an analysis of a solid model of a simple geometry. I have over 700 nodes in my mesh, and I have out-of-plane deformation information at each node (based on some experimental data) that I would like to apply as displacement boundary conditions. Based on the number of nodes that I have, there is no way that I will enter each one of these displacements individually (they are all of different values).

It seems like the "Direct FE" button is the correct approach to apply these, but I cannot seem to figure out how the interface works. (1) Is this the correct approach as far as the software is concerned? (2) Does anyone have any references or tutorials for how to use this? It seems like you have to upload all of the information in .xml format - but it also seems like you have to input the X, Y, and Z component information separately in the Details pane - which doesn't make sense to me... I also can't figure out how ANSYS would be able to tell which node the data is referring to...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

• BenjaminStarling
      Subscriber
      The most direct route would be to use the external data system in workbench, and link it to the setup of your analysis. In the external data system you will have to input information regarding the format of your data. The most simple would be a csv. with column 1 being node number, then the locations of the nodes in 2-D or 3-D space (2 or 3 columns respectively), then the displacements. This method maps the data to your model, and this mapping can introduce it's own issues. If you have a data point per node, it's likely this mapping will go pretty much near perfect.
      But, because you have data at each node, you could also generate an APDL script that loops through the nodes and applies the displacement. If you are interested in this approach, let me know and I'll get an example together.
    • wcg
      Subscriber
      Thanks BenjaminStarling - I really appreciate the help. I've found a couple of tutorials on mapping stresses into a model following your first suggestion, and I'm pretty confident I can translate that over to displacements (I'm very new at working with ANSYS).
      However, I would certainly be interested in an example APDL script - I'm eventually going to have to start working with that, so I might as well start now...
      Thanks again
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.