Fluids

Fluids

Disable Auto Compute Offset for multiple periodic boundaries in Fluent

• Brayden York
      Subscriber

I am running a parametric analysis in fluent with fluent meshing. I am simulating flow through a wire screen, and varying things like the misalignment of the screens, spacing, count etc. I am only simulating a small section, so I am using periodic boundaries in the X and Z planes, with the flow in the Y direction. I know what value I would like to set for the periodic offset (0.0005334m), an this does not change throughout all design points. I therefore disable the the 'auto compute offset' option, and enter my values. However after saving, and looking back at my boundaries I see that auto compute is re-enabled. I chose to ignore this at first, but I have had simulations fail due to 'not being able to auto compute the offset'. Is there a way I can permanently disable this and force it to use my value?

Thanks for any help.

• Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      The periodic looks straight forward. There is no reason auto compute to fail in this case. nIt will fail only if mesh on two sides are not matching. For periodicity geometry and mesh should match on both sides. Please check the case which is failing, for geometry and mesh match. nAlso you may want to use TUI. Please explore TUI for defining periodicity and Solution - activities - create - execute commands. nRegards,nKeyurnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning ForumnHow to access ANSYS help linksnn
    • Brayden York
      Subscriber
      Thank you Keyur.nIs it possible to assign both periodic pairs in the TUI? Also, can you create non-conformal periodic interfaces in the TUI?nRegards,nBraydenn
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      I overlooked it. You are creating periodics in two direction. Then you will need to use non conformal periodic interfaces. Yes, it can be created using TUI. n
    • Brayden York
      Subscriber
      Hi Keyur,nI'd like to revisit this question, as I have not been able to generate the 2 periodic conditions with the TUI. I've also found that the auto compute error I've been getting is because it will auto compute the appropriate distance in one direction, but add a small error in another direction. For example, one periodic condition may generate perfectly in the z-direction, but the x-direction periodic condition will have the offset (0.0005334, 0, 1.266E-20) with 0.0005334 being all that is wanted in this case. The E-20 term is unwanted, and should be 0 as it is with all of the other cases, and way too small to be a result of any geometric parameters input. I'm not sure how to resolve this, as I'm not even sure when I can replicate it, it seems to happen randomly. I've made everything in the geometry and meshing persistent, so if perhaps there is a way to hard code the 0.0005334m offset into the setup, that may work. Any advice is appreciated.nRegards,nBraydenn
    • Keyur Kanade
      Ansys Employee
      Use Quick Search to see commands. nPlease see help manual for more details about these commands. nnRegards,nKeyurnGuidelines for Posting on Ansys Learning ForumnHow to access ANSYS help linksnn
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.